Join Our Team
Flourish foundation is searching for a Development Director. Please view the details below for a complete job description.
You may also download a print friendly option here.
Please submit a resume with cover letter to email@example.com
Development Director Job Description
The Development Director will create a foundation for the Flourish fundraising plan. The objective of this position will be to work with the Executive Director to improve the overall fundraising effectiveness of the organization and cultivate long-term donor relationships. S/he reports directly to the Executive Director and will adhere to policies established by the board of directors as well as to the organization’s goals and objectives; in service of the organization’s mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop strategies to educate, market, cultivate, solicit, and steward all donor constituencies
- Annual Appeal/Campaign Activities – Create a strategic, large constituency mailing that will serve as both a solicitation as well as an informational piece for the organization.
- Create a high-touch stewardship program to foster ongoing relationships with leadership donors and foundations. The program will keep all major donors up to date with regard to the history of their gifts, individuals or programs they are benefitting as well as a yearly fiscal report of their funds (in the case of an endowed or restricted fund).
- Process and send tax letters with handwritten thank you.
- Organize donor appreciation calls with board of directors and staff.
- Research and develop an understanding of capacity, propensity and affinity for all current donors. Work with the Board, staff, and volunteers to help identify new donors. Utilize the donor tracking system to help with future solicitations.
- Create a case for support for each program as well as a case to support the organization as a whole (part of coordinated communications effort). Formulate talking points for restricted and unrestricted donor solicitations and train Board members and ED how to conduct a successful 2:1 ask.
- Prepare and monitor development-related budgets and create overall budget with Executive director.
- Oversee record keeping in Salesforce, gift processing system and reconciliation of revenue with accounting.
- Development of content for all fundraising materials i.e. Annual Appeal Brochure, Annual Report, pledge cards, remittance envelopes, talking points, acknowledgement letters, etc.
- Develop and oversee grant writing strategy. Identify new corporate, private, and government funding from outside sources. Write and submit grant applications. Develop and maintain a grant application calendar for all grant requests.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of grant billings and reports in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Create and maintain appropriate spreadsheets and documentation to support grant expenses.
- Work with the accountant on monitoring grant budgets and expenditures to ensure targets are met.
- Develop a social media strategy, support weekly Facebook posting, quarterly newsletter and general marketing with Executive Director and Operations Coordinator.
Execution of Fundraising Events
- Timeline for months leading up to the event, the week of the event as well as a detailed schedule of events for the day of.
- Manage invitation list and RSVPs, working closely with key partners, Flourish team members as well as board members to target new donors to insure the guest list is inclusive and diverse.
- Write agendas, facilitate meetings with Chair and create minutes for all meetings.
- Manage invitation list and RSVPs. Work closely with board members, staff, and partners to generate and extend invitations.
- Oversee marketing and PR around events.
- Help create gift items and marketing materials given out at the event.
- Coordinate, motivate, and follow through with all volunteers for the event.
- Weekly updated tracking sheets for all staff and volunteers with regard to job assignments, procurement and event logistics.
- Coordinate marketing strategy – invitations, fliers, press etc.
- Organize a gratitude campaign to follow up with donors individually after the event
Prefer a minimum of three years of relevant experience in grant writing, grant management, fundraising or related field.
Prefer experience with supervision of volunteer or paid staff.
Must work well with persons of varied sexual preference, racial, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic backgrounds, and with individuals who are differently-abled.
Must demonstrate commitment to social justice and social service through previous employment or volunteer work.
Must be a self-directed, and forward thinking individual with excellent people skills. Ability to work independently and efficiently with a minimum of supervision required.
Must have program planning and administrative skills, be highly organized, motivated and remain flexible under pressure. Attention to detail and ability to organize and set priorities a must.
Must be able to actively problem-solve using sound judgment and critical thinking.
Must have a strong work ethic and be friendly when interacting with community members and other team members, and be able to delegate effectively.
Must be computer proficient, including working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, Excel, Quickbooks, and Salesforce.
- Board Chair
- Executive Director
- Operations Coordinator
- Board of Directors
- Program Managers
- All Staff
Part Time Employee
20 hours/week scheduled as mutually convenient.
Flourish Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.